Google+ Badge

Sunday, 14 February 2016

100% wholewheat bread

I love this recipe for 100% wholewheat bread from the Canadian website Robin Hood, but I find it too sweet for my taste so I've adapted it slightly.

It's a good way of smuggling fibre into small people (when I made bread with a class of 7year olds they preferred brown to white) particularly when there's no other choice of bread!

The eggs help it to rise and be less dense than some other brown breads.

I have a Panasonic breadmaker where you have to add the yeast first then the flour, but I could have used my Kenwood with the dough hook or my hands.

The advantage of using the Kenwood or hands is that you can add more water if you need to - if a dough looks too wet you just might need to knead it for longer so the flour absorbs the water.

This time I used the breadmaker on the pizza dough setting, but after it finished the dough looked too 'tight' so I added a drop more water and set it on the cycle again. Doesn't seem to have harmed the finish!

Ingredients
2 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast (I used Dove's farm)
6 cups wholewheat flour
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
2 cup water
2 eggs
2 tbsp oil (not olive oil, I used sunflower)

Method
Check the instructions on your breadmaker if you're using one - with mine I add it in the order I've listed the ingredients then set it to the shortest dough setting (pizza, 45min).

Once it's made, shape into rolls, pinch some for pizza or put the whole lot in a well greased loaf tin. (Use this - just using oil meant the bread nearly stuck in the pan!)


With rolls or loaves, leave them to prove (rise) for about an hour if you can.

This dough made pizza for a permanently hungry boy, and a large loaf.

I baked the loaf on 200°C for 10 min, then reduced the heat to 180°C for about 35min.

A loaf (or roll) is done when it sounds hollow when tapped. If you're making rolls reduce the cooking time.

The pizza got thrown in a hot oven on its highest setting for 10min and only didn't burn to a crisp because Wonder Boy was starving and wanted to see if it was ready.

Slimming World followers, I count 60g of this bread as a healthy extra b.

No comments:

Post a Comment